Housing Assistance Grants for Veterans

Table of Contents
  1. What Are Housing Assistance Grants?
  2. Housing Assistance Grants for Service-Disabled Veterans
Specially Adapted Housing GrantSpecial Home Adaptation GrantTemporary Residence Adaptation Grant
  1. Eligibility Criteria
  2. How Much Funding Is Provided?
  3. How to Apply for Housing Assistance Grants?

While most servicemembers are familiar with VA Loans, they are just one type of housing assistance available to veterans. Housing assistance grants are another type of financial aid for veterans, which help qualifying servicemembers with disabilities purchase a home and provide funding to renovate a home to meet individual needs. 

In this guide, we take a closer look at different types of housing assistance grants available to veterans and provide an overview of:

  • Eligibility criteria
  • Funding amounts
  • Application instructions 

What Are Housing Assistance Grants?

In general, housing assistance grants are funds available to veterans for home-related expenses. Some of the major housing assistance grant programs, such as the VA’s Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant, the Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant, and the Temporary Residence Adaptation grant — which are profiled below — are exclusively for veterans with service-related disabilities.

These grant programs have strict eligibility criteria and an annual cap on the number of grant recipients.

Another housing assistance grant program is the Home Improvements and Structural Assistance (HISA) grant, which does not require that the veteran have a service-connected disability to qualify. The HISA grant provides medically necessary improvements (e.g. roll-in showers, permanent ramping, lowering countertops, etc.) and structural changes to a disabled veteran’s primary home. This type of grant does not cover certain home alterations such as Jacuzzis, home security systems, or non-permanent structures.

Housing Assistance Grants for Service-Disabled Veterans

Specially Adapted Housing Grant

Known as the “SAH,” the Specially Adapted Housing Grant is for veterans with a service-connected disability who plan to use the funds to buy, build, or make alterations to their permanent home. In order to qualify for the SAH, the veteran must own (or plan to own) the home and have a qualifying service-connected disability, such as:

  • The loss or loss of use of more than one limb
  • The loss, or loss of use of a lower leg along with the lasting effects of a natural disease or injury
  • Blindness in both eyes along with the loss or loss of use of a leg
  • Certain severe burns
  • The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity (foot or leg) after Sept. 11, 2001, which inhibits balance or walking without the help of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair

It is important to note a cap on the number of SAH recipients; therefore, only 30 veterans and servicemembers can qualify each fiscal year for this grant.

Here is a video overview:

Special Home Adaptation Grant

The Special Home Adaptation grant (somewhat confusingly referred to as the “SHA” grant) also provides funding for veterans with service-connected disabilities; however, the overall funding amount is lower, and the qualifying disabilities are different than the Specially Adapted Housing grant. Just like its “SAH” sister-grant, the “SHA” is intended for veterans who will use the funding to buy, build, or make alterations to their permanent home. 

An important differentiator, though, is that this grant can be used for a home owned by (or soon to be owned by) the disabled veteran or a family member. Also, for this particular grant, the list of qualifying service-connected disabilities is slightly different and includes:

  • Blindness in both eyes (with 20/200 visual acuity or less)
  • The loss or loss of use of both hands
  • Certain severe burns
  • Certain respiratory or breathing injuries

Temporary Residence Adaptation Grant

The third VA-sponsored housing assistance grant is the Temporary Residence Adaptation Grant, which enables veterans to make adjustments to a temporary home (or the home of a family member) as opposed to a permanent residence. Like the SAH and SHA grants, the Temporary Residence Adaptation grant is intended for veterans with qualifying service-connected disabilities, although they need not own or plan to own a home in order to qualify.

Eligibility Criteria

The eligibility criteria for all three VA-sponsored housing assistance grants differ slightly depending on the particular program. Still, the main requirement is having a qualifying service-connected disability as defined by the Department of Veterans Affairs. 

Also, while the SAH and SHA require that the veteran either own or plan to own a home (or a family member, for the SHA), the TRA grant is not based on homeownership. 

To qualify for a TRA grant, the veteran must meet the service-connected disability criteria for either the SAH or SHA grant (see previous section) and be living temporarily in a family member’s home that requires changes to meet individual needs.

How Much Funding Is Provided?

For Fiscal Year 2021, the maximum total funding amounts are:

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant: Up to $100,896.

Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant: Up to $20,215.

Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant: Up to $40,637 if veteran qualifies for SAH grant; up to $7,256 if veteran qualifies for SHA grant.

Home Improvement and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant: Up to $6,800 for veterans and servicemembers with a service-connected disability OR for veterans with a non-service-connected condition rated 50% or more service-connected; Up to $2,000 for veterans with a non-service-connected condition.

Keep in mind that grant recipients do not have to use the total grant amount in a given year; instead, they can draw from the funds up to three different times in future years.

How to Apply for Housing Assistance Grants?

The application process for VA-sponsored housing assistance grants is pretty straightforward. It can be completed online via the VA’s eBenefits portal or by completing the application and mailing it to the closest VA regional loan center. Alternately, veterans can reach out directly to the VA by calling 800-827-1000. After the application is submitted, veterans will be notified of the VA’s decision via mail or through the eBenefits portal.

However, for the HISA grant, the process is a bit different (and a bit more complex). In addition to completing an application form, the veteran has to provide a written prescription from a VA physician providing a detailed overview of why the home improvement or structural alteration is merited as well as a written itemized estimate for the cost of labor, materials, permits and potential inspections for the home alteration.

For a more detailed overview of VA-sponsored housing assistance grants, view the full guidebook here.


2020 Platinum Recognition of Excellence
2021 Circle of Excellence
kw web rev

©  Bonnie Maloney California DRE #01458855 :: Website by Catalysis Business Solutions :: Terms Of Use :: Privacy

Thank you to all my clients and colleagues for naming me a Five Star Professional Real Estate Agent 2011 - Present. It is special to be recognized for such an honor, particularly since it is coming from my clients and peers. I look forward to working with you again.

Keller Williams Realty - 13400 Sabre Springs Pkwy, San Diego CA 92128, California Broker DRE# 01870514